First, a quick snapshot of where I was this time last year so that you get an idea of why I set the goals I did… I had self-published 3 books and 1 short story by the end of 2014 – Blue Violet (2012), Hyacinth (Feb 2013), Hannah’s Fate (July 2013) Crimson Dahlia (Aug 2013). I had completed the first draft of Andromeda’s Fall and was still doing the first draft of Black Orchid. I’d sold maybe about 3500 copies of all my books total. And I had wonderful readers who I enjoyed interacting with.
With that starting point in mind, here’s what I had hopes for in 2014 and what I actually accomplished. (WARNING – I’m a lister. It’s part of my personality. So this is a long, detailed list. I hope it’s as interesting to you as it is to me. LOL.)
- Edit, publish Andromeda’s Fall in February – ACCOMPLISHED
- Write, edit, publish Black Orchid in May – ACCOMPLISHED
- Write, edit, publish Shadowcat Nation Book #2 by October – ACCOMPLISHED*
- More author collaborations – loved that last year!!! – ACCOMPLISHED (Reaching Out)
- Improve writing – attend at least one conference/seminar, continue to utilize my critique group – ACCOMPLISHED
- Start attempts to find a literary agent with absolutely no expectations that I will – ACCOMPLISHED*
- Start attempts to publish my books through independent and traditional presses – no expectations again – ACCOMPLISHED!!!!
- Submit my books to a few more contests – no expectations here either – ACCOMPLISHED (Blue Violet won 2014 eLit Bronze Best Fantasy)
- ADDITIONAL ACCOMPLISHMENT – Contracted the Shadowcat Nation Series with The Wild Rose Press
- ADDITIONAL ACCOMPLISHMENT – Wrote Saving the Sheriff
- ADDITIONAL ACCOMPLISHMENT – Wrote Falling for Kate
A few notes about the above. Andromeda’s Fall was published in February and then unpublished in June because it was contracted by The Wild Rose Press!!!! Sarai’s Fortune (Shadowcat Nation #2) was complete by October but won’t be published this year as it is at The Wild Rose Press now. I did start submitting to agents – and got past the query letter a few times, but not signed yet. Have an open opportunity going into 2015 – so fingers crossed.
Under improving my writing, I joined RWA and several chapters (local and online) and attended many great workshops. I found a critique partner who’s been great and have made some wonderful new author friends who are so supportive. Awesome year in the improving and networking spaces!
Marketing/Reader Reach Goals
- Continue to find fun things to do with readers via social media – ACCOMPLISHED
- Increase email disti list to 200 (2x) – MISSED – Am at ~120 (darn)
- 3 blog tours (one per book release) – ACCOMPLISHED
- Blog 2x/week – ACCOMPLISHED (avg’d closer to 3x/week)
- ADDITIONAL ACCOMPLISHMENT – New website & logo
- ADDITIONAL ACCOMPLISHMENT – Redesigned the Svatura book covers
- Break even on costs/incoming sales – ACCOMPLISHED (*I’m sort of dancing the line. Back and forth.)
- Sell 5000 books (not including free promos/giveaways) – ACCOMPLISHED (over 6500 without releasing the 3rd expected book for 2014)
- Edit, query, and publish Falling for Kate
- Edit, query, and publish Saving the Sherrif (The Hills of Texas #1)
- Edit, publish Sarai’s Fortune (Shadowcat Nation #2) with TWRP
- Write, edit, publish Imogen’s Fury (Shadowcat Nation #3) wtih TWRP
- Write and submit Untitled Shadowcat Nation #4 to TWRP
- Write, edit, and submit Resisting the Rancher (The Hills of Texas #2)
- Write, edit, and submit one more of some kind (undetermined – I have several ideas, just depends on timing and interest)
- More author collaborations – loved that last year!!!
- Improve writing – 3-4 workshops and attend local RWA chapter monthly
- Continue to find fun things to do with readers via social media
- Increase email disti list to 200
- 4 blog tours (one per book release – fingers crossed on that many releases)
- Blog 2x/week
- RWA Contemporary Chapter (Online) 2015 VP of Communications – collaborate with the team on this!
- Continue agent queries as books are completed
- attend RWA Annual Conference in NYC
- Do my best to provide good feedback for Critique Partner(s) and Groups
A HUGE thank you to my incredible, awesome, inspiring readers. You are the reason I had such an amazing year! I love hearing from y’all and hope you’ve had as much fun as I have this year!!! Here’s to another great year in 2015!