I was going to write a post on my top 5 moments of 2013, but I feel after several similar posts here and on Facebook, I’ve beat that poor horse enough. However, in one of those moments of pure, random curiosity, I decided to research “Auld Lang Syne” and thought I’d share what I found.
I’ve seen several translations. According to Webster’s it means “the good old times.” On another site it says it literally translates to “old long since”. I also saw translations like “long, long ago,” but that makes me think of Star Wars. Much as I love that movie, I like the “old long since” translation best.
The best source for the history and background of the tradition is clearly going to come from Scotland. I really encourage you to click here and read more. But here are some of the highlights:
- The words were written by the famous (and brilliant) Scottish poet Robert Burns.
- The original tune he set it to is not the tune it is sung to today.
- Traditionally sung to celebrate the start of the New Year at the stroke of midnight. By extension, it is also sung at funerals, graduations and as a farewell or ending to other occasions.
The link in the tradition section takes you to the longer version of the poem. Wikipedia also has several stanzas in the original Scots verse by Burns and a more contemporary English translation. It is a beautiful poem about remembering old friends and times.
I’m glad I did a little digging on this. Now I appreciate the tradition just that much more.!
My Top 5 Moments of 2013
Okay, okay. After all that, I worked myself back into a nostalgic frame of mind. So I still have to share my top 5 moments in relation to my books this past year. Take it as read that publishing my 2nd and 3rd books – Hyacinth and Crimson Dahlia – are way up there. That said, here are my other best moments:
5. Crimson Dahlia blog tour organized by Paranormal Cravings
4. Winning NaNoWriMo
3. Collaborating with 4 other awesome authors on the Here, Kitty Kitty anthology
2. Winning Bronze for Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror eBook at the 2013 IPPYs for Blue Violet
1. Every interaction I got to have with my awesome readers! (I mean it. You guys are awesome! XOXOXO)