WARNING: Major spoilers in this one. If you haven’t read the book yet, read this post at your own peril. 🙂
I’ve had several author interviews where the question was asked… Did I have a song or songs I associated with my book. In the past, my answer has typically been no. I listen to a lot of music and watch a lot of TV while I write.
However, in the case of Black Orchid, I had two songs that happened to become popular while Black Orchid was in the writing/editing phases. And both of them fit where my characters were going very well. Now, I think every time I hear these songs I’ll think of Black Orchid.
Here are the two songs and why they clicked so much with me and this project.
Let It Go – Disney’s Frozen
I get the feeling a lot of people were inspired by this. Although, I’ll say it’s less the song, and more the character of Elsa. She goes through this transformation where fear rules her life and stunts her growth as a person and with her powers. In the song, Let It Go, Elsa starts to change, to grow finally, to make that turn. This is exactly what Adelaide was going through as I wrote Black Orchid. Adelaide is ruled by fear and pain. But then she demands that she go off by herself, and that starts the turning point in her journey.
Demons – Imagine Dragons
This song, by what is quickly becoming one of my favorite bands, came out when I was done with overall project and deep into the editing. I was instantly struck by how well it summed up Black Orchid. What I love about it is that – lyrics-wise – it’s almost a love song between Nate and Adelaide. It fits their journey in Black Orchid so well. Let’s take a look at the lyrics.
When the days are cold and the cards all fold.
– We start the book with Adelaide in the frozen Ural mountains in Russia. Not only is the weather cold, but so are her emotions. And everything about their situation looks bleak.
When your dreams all fail, and the ones we hail are the worst of all.
– Nate has left her, abandoned her.
I wanna hide the truth. I wanna shelter you. But with the beast inside, there’s nowhere we can hide.
– Nate is hiding everything from Adelaide – who he is, his true motivation. But Adelaide hides who she is too. Both of them have their own demons. But Adelaide’s dragon is literally a beast inside her, and if it comes out there’s nowhere anyone can hide.
So they dug your grave, and the masquerade will come calling out at the mess you made.
– Nate’s secrets come to light. And he realizes the truth and the mess he’s made.
They say it’s what you make. I say it’s up to fate. It’s woven in my soul. I need to let you go.
– Nate and Adelaide are/were fated loves. It is woven in their souls.
Your eyes, they shine so bright. I wanna save that light. I can’t escape this now, unless you show me how.
– They both want to save each other, but it will take both of them to do it. That’s what true love is all about.