One of my New Year’s resolutions this year was to continue to improve my writing through various workshops. We’re a little over 1/2 way through 2014, and I’ve taken nine workshops so far this year – one or two each month.
I have tried for a mix of topics from various sources. All of them have been online. And I’ve gained at least one thing from every single one that I’ve applied to my writing. In many cases, I gained many tips and ideas. For the curious, here are the courses I’ve done so far:
- Mastering the Key Moments in Your Story (Writer’s Digest)
- Writing Paranormal/Fantasy (Writer’s Digest)
- Writing Romance & Women’s Fiction (Writer’s Digest)
- Making Characters Come Alive (Writer’s Digest)
- Book in a Month (Candace Havens)
- Cowboy Workshop by Lori Wilde (Writer’s Digest)
- Ghosts by Eilis Flynn & Jacquie Rogers (Via RWA Online Chapter Fantasy, Futuristic & Paranormal)
- Humor Workshop by Ally Broadfield (Via Candace Havens’s Group)
I can categorically state that my writing has improved. Here’s why…
Even if I didn’t apply every little bit, there were always brilliant nuggets I could take away and apply to my writing. Some resulted in a complete methodology shift. Some were more informational to help writers out with research-related issues/questions or get them started. Some where “how to write” type classes. Some were hands-on git-er-done type classes.
Two were the best timed workshops I could ask for. I started my ghost paranormal romance set in small town Texas in June. The Cowboy workshop came along in June, and Ghosts hit in July. Perfect right?!?! Providence.
I have a bunch of other workshops I plan to take this year. Mostly RWA (Romance Writers of America) chapter workshops. I’m looking forward to each and every one. I would recommend taking these types of classes to any writers out there. Like I said, you can always find something to apply to your own personal style and preferences. Just get ready to take a lot of notes, and plan to revisit them frequently to refresh yourself.
I feel can definitely check off this particular resolution as complete. (Losing 10 pounds, not so much.).
Leave a Comment