I was nominated by Mia Darien to take part in the One Lovely Blog Hop!
About the Hop: This blog hop is designed to show our readers a more personal side to ourselves. We’ve been challenged by another author/ blogger (somewhat like the ‘ice bucket’ challenge) to list seven interesting facts to help cast light onto that tough writer’s/ blogger’s persona we all like to project. But we want to show that behind every story is a story, our story, my story, and like everyone else I have dreams, hobbies, problems and goals. This blog hop is a way to share some of them with you, my readers.
The rules are that I share 7 Lovely Facts about myself, and links to at least 15 blogs that I enjoy reading. If I’ve nominated your blog (see names below) please don’t feel any obligation to join in but, if you do, please link back to the blog of the person who nominated you (which would be me, Abigail Owen), share facts about yourself and nominate 15 blogs (or as many as you can).
Seven Lovely Facts about Abigail Owen
1. I grew up in Texas. While born in Colorado, I grew up in Texas. My dad’s family can trace their history there to the Texas Revolution. I am a 4th generation graduate of Texas A&M University (Whoop! Gig’em Ags!). Although I live in California now – and love it here – my heart will always be Texan.
2. I was a competitive skydiver. I got into skydiving in college. I am terrified of heights – or more specifically of hitting the ground really hard – but I tried skydiving and loved it. I was on my collegiate team and joined a semi-pro team after college for a year. Every day there’s blue skies, I miss it.
3. I love spreadsheets. I spent almost 10 years working for Intel as a business analyst. If you’d have told me in college that I’d have a job remotely related to computers or math I would have laughed in your face. But I LOVED what I did at Intel. Spreadsheets are still a part of my daily life.
4. I want to do a tornado chasing vacation. We lived in an area that got tornadoes fairly regularly. But I was always stuffed in a bathroom rather than be allowed to see one in person. I’m now obsessed. I even have dreams where I see one and get so excited until I wake up – very disappointed. This vacation is on my bucket list.
5. I’m really into classic moves. And no, anything after 1980 does not count as old. I’m talking 1930s-1960s era movies. It started with Oklahoma and other musicals. Then naturally progressed to other movies. I love the stories – and have to laugh when people see remakes of old movies and think it’s a new and original idea. Favorites include: Just about every Rodgers and Hammerstein musical ever made on film, How Green Was My Valley, anything with Audrey Hepburn, Gone With The Wind, anything Hitchcock, The Wizard of Oz, To Kill a Mockingbird, Yankee Doodle Dandy, anything with Gene Kelly, anything with Paul Newman…I could keep going for a while.
6. I function better when overwhelmingly busy. I am definitely an example of “an object in motion stays in motion, an object at rest stays at rest.” I function so much better when I’m insanely busy. This is best evidenced by the fact that I earned my EMBA degree while working a 60 hour/week job, writing and self-publishing the first 3 Svatura books, and raising 2 kiddos.
7. I have an organization blog. Hello. My name is Abigail. And I have to organize everything around me. This also includes buying bins and organizers even when I don’t need them. I can’t watch shows about hoarders or unorganized people because it makes me break out in hives. This summer I finally bit the bullet and started a blog which I update weekly with tips and tricks on organizing your home, at work, personally, digitally, etc.
Now that you know a bit more about me, I nominate…