10 years ago today I self-published my very first book–Blue Violet! I can’t believe it’s already been 10 years.
I had written the first draft a few years before that. At the time I was working for a big tech company (60 hour weeks), in the middle of getting my MBA, and my kids were 2 and 4 years old. So, of course, I thought that was the perfect time to find an editor, learn a LOT, and publish my book.
Now I am a hybrid author–both indie and traditionally published. And my very first hardcover book–The Liar’s Crown–is coming out in 10 days. The best anniversary gift I could get!
What did I do with those 10 years? Y’all, it’s been the ride of a lifetime!!!
- 3 pen names – Abigail Owen, Kadie Scott, Kristen McKanagh
- 48 books/novellas/stories written
- 9 series completed (though some aren’t out yet)
- 3 million+ words written (um…holy bleep!)
- more when you factor in stuff that was deleted or edited out
- for perspective most books are 50k-100k words
- 6 romance subgenres
- paranormal romance, YA fantasy, steamy contemporary cowboys, rom coms, sweet contemporary, and Amish romance
- I’d write every HEA subgenre if I had time!
- 7 publishers
- Indie, Entangled, Kensington, Berkley, Tule, Crimson, and The Wild Rose Press – and terrific experiences at every single one
- I absolutely LOVE my editors!!!
- more publishers when you add in the audio and foreign language publishers!
- 2 fantastic agents (1 at a time 🙂 )
- Evan Marshall & Dawn Dowdle
- published in 5 languages
- English, Czech, French, Italian, & German
- published in hardcover, trade paperback, mass market paperback, ebook, audiobook, and reading apps
- went to auction for one series
- had books sold in B&N, Target, Walmart, independent book stores, and available in libraries across the country!
- 22 awards
- combo of PNR and contemp
- including 1 starred review in Booklist which totally counts
- bestselling author tag on Amazon and B&N in multiple countries
- started a company to provide services for other indie authors — Authors On A Dime LLC
- collaborated with other authors in cowritten books (Nicole Flockton) and multi-author anthologies
- delivered workshops to other writers on topics like organization, world building, sprinting, and more
- mentored other authors
- helped lead or be a member for various writers’ groups
- found my own personal mentors, cowriters, sprinting partners, accountability partners, brainstorming partners, editing/beta reading partners, and book besties
- attended so many fun book conferences, book signings, book discussions, writing groups, writing retreats, games, giveaways, and more
- managed to figure out cover design, formatting, self-publising, social media and marketing (thanks to all the content and workshops from other authors and industry pros out there)
- received fan art including a gorgeous temporary tattoo designed to match a cover
- traveled to CA, IN, NY, TX, FL, LA, CO, Mexico, (and soon several countries in Europe!)
- transitioned to being a full-time writer (thanks to my amazing, supportive family)
- and eventually was able to contribute to my family’s financial bottom line
- worked my backside off at something that is my passion and I know exactly how blessed I am to do that!
- adore the countless reader and author friends who light up my life!!!! xoxoxo
Thank you to everyone who has loved and supported me through the ride! So many dreams come true in a decade. I can’t wait to see what the next 10 years holds!!!
10 years! Really? Already? Where did the time go? I remember when . . . Blue Velvet was new. Loved that series! Actually, I have loved most of what you have written. You have done good! Congratulations. Here’s to the next 10 years. You keep writing, I will keep reading.
Absolutely terrific, happy 10th anniversary, and many more.