My readers have probably figured out by now that I love a good sassy heroine. In fact, when I wrote a top list of literary heroines, I realized most of the had a solid streak of snark in them.
By sassy I mean a total smart ass. Throw a good bit of sarcasm, snark, or witty banter in there and you’ve got me hooked. Especially if those comments are directed toward their love interest, the villain, or the “other woman.” I get so irritated with female leads who are wimpy and just let life happen to them or let their men do all their decision making and fighting. My favorite heroines can still be sweet, bubbly, tough, or loners… as long as there’s a touch of sass in there, I love ’em.
So, with that in mind, I thought it would be fun to name my top 25 queens of sassy-ness on paper or screen:
25. Mary Poppins (played by Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins)
24. Veronica Mars (played by Kristin Bell on Veronica Mars)
23. Kyra (played by Alex Davalos in The Chronicles of Riddick)
22. Scarlet O’Hara (Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell, played by Vivien Leigh)
21. Elastigirl (played by Holly Hunter in The Incredibles)
20. Faith (played by Eliza Dushku on Buffy and Angel)
19. Fanny Bryce (played by Barbra Streisand in Funny Girl)
16. Buffy Summers (played by Sarah Michelle Gellar on Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
1. Princess Leia (played by Carrie Fisher in Star Wars)