I thought I’d share these character breakdowns with you for fun. These days – after taking an awesome workshop by Anna Stewart and Mel Curtis – I do a character breakdown before I start writing. I use a great book (The Complete Writer’s Guide to Heroes & Heroines: 16 Master Archetypes) as a tool.
Crimson Dahlia is the 3rd book in the series, and is Lila and Ramsey’s story.
Lila Jenner – Crusader
As we start the book, we know Lila is Alex and Adelaide’s little sister. She’s bolder than Adelaide, but also harder to read.
- Never backs down from a confrontation
- No faith in intrinsic human goodness
- Out to save the piece of the universe that belongs to her
- Has a right and obligation to go after what she wants
Ramsey Pierce – Lost Soul
As we start the book we know Ramsey is a firestarter – a volatile gift that most don’t survive because they blow themselves up.
- Tormented, filled with angst & passion
- Quiet – not a talker, tends to be alone a lot
We know Lila and Ramsey have a long (50-100 year) history. We’re just not sure what that history is as he’s determined to stay away from her.
- Her first instinct is to do something
- His first instinct is to retreat, or sit back and watch
- He worries about her having to give up her dreams because he’s seen that happen before
- She sees him as bitter
- Admire each other’s decisiveness
- Share an honorable stoicism
- She won’t let him hide or withdraw, revives his idealism
- He proves that his heart is good, helps her learn to choose her battles
For previous Svatura series readers, I wonder if you’ll see these characteristics. For new readers – the series will be released by my publisher, The Wild Rose Press, as a series (1 book a week for 4 weeks) soon – date TBD – you’ll have to tell me if you can see this. 🙂